THE RING OF BELLS, ST. MARY’S ROAD, MEARE, GLASTONBURY, BA6 9SP
About the Area
Glastonbury's past and its present are linked with its dominant landmark and the town grew up alongside the Abbey and become a manufacturing and trading centre. Today it’s a thriving market town and a major tourist venue, welcoming thousands of visitors each year. Medieval Glastonbury - designated a conservation area - clusters around the evocative ruins of the Abbey.
Meare is a village and civil parish 3 miles north-west of Glastonbury and has been a settled site for even longer than Glastonbury. The parish Church of St Mary, formerly in the keeping of Glastonbury Abbey dates from 1323 and is a Grade I listed building.
The village also has a primary school, a pre-school - both awarded ‘outstanding’ by OFSTED, a number of societies and clubs and a good community spirit. Close by is the Shapwick Heath nature reserve with superb walks enjoying the abundant wildlife in the area including the fabulous Starling murmerations in the spring and autumn. There is easy access to the other towns of the area including Wells, Street and Wedmore whilst Bristol and Yeovil are well within commuting distance.
This Grade II Listed property sits in the heart of the village, adjacent to the village Church of Saint Mary. It reputedly dates around 1325, with additions in the 15/16th century and then considerably rebuilt in the 17th century. It was formerly The Ring of Bells Inn from 1813 to the middle of the 20th century and the now games room was the cellar where the beer and cider was stored. The house has references to it being a monastic dwelling connected to Glastonbury Abbey and subsequently a rectory. The flagstones in the hallway and sitting room may well have come from the Abbey.
Constructed of Blue Lias stone elevations with a traditional lime render and mostly pantile roof, this house has a wealth of period features including inglenook fireplace, flagstone and wooden floors in the principle reception rooms and stone mullioned windows to the front elevation. The building has undergone a full restoration and conservation program carried out by the current owners using traditional materials, breathable paints, plasters and renders and it has been re-roofed an insulated to modern building regulation standards.
Ground floor comprises: a drawing room with a stone fireplace at one end with an inglenook at the other with an inset wood burner, ceiling beams and solid oak flooring; sitting room with inglenook fireplace with flagstone hearth and flagstone flooring which opens to the snug with double doors to the terrace and garden; bespoke kitchen and dining room with an oak parquet floor laid in ‘herringbone’ style, a comprehensive range of floor standing units with Zebrano wooden worktops, dining room with the wooden floor laid in ‘herringbone’ style and an original 1930’s wood burner; games room with exposed stone wall; cloakroom; laundry/utility/ and store room.
Upstairs on the first floor is the generous master bedroom with lovely views to the church; en suite bathroom comprising bath, twin wash hand basins, bidet and wc, bamboo flooring and a door with a balcony. There are 5 additional bedrooms, a bathroom, shower room and separate cloakroom.
The second floor landing leads to a further bedroom which has been built into the former attic space and has ceiling beams and windows with views to the church and beyond to the historic Fish House and Mendip Hills.
Outside the extensive garden of around an acre has a gravelled driveway and parking area to the front, bordered from the road by Copper Beech hedging. To the side are double gates leading to an additional driveway to the detached garage. A pedestrian gate leads to the rear garden.
The formal lawned garden at the rear has two terraces for seating and enjoying alfresco dining, it has mature Magnolia Stellata and Acer trees and is enclosed by stone walling with an arched gateway leading to a further lawned orchard with a shed. This orchard leads to a gate at the rear which gives access to the banks of the river Brue and this property enjoys fishing rights for the river.
The single storey outbuildings of approximately 750 sq. ft. (70 sq. m.) can be accessed either through the house from the games room or from the garden. They are block built with power and light and are currently used as a workshop and stores.
The Ring of Bells has a total floor area of about 4,380 sq. ft. (407 sq. m.) excluding the workshops and stores.
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage. Oil-fired central heating.
Local Authority: Mendip District Council - Council Tax Band G.
Deposit 1 1/2 months rent (£3,600) lodged with the deposit protection scheme.
Individual £150.00 plus VAT
Additional applicant or Guarantor £75 plus VAT.
From Wedmore take the Mudgley hill road towards Glastonbury, pass through Westhay and continue and enter Meare. Follow through the village passing the war memorial on the left hand side and The Ring of Bells will be just past here on the left, as indicated by our For Sale sign.
From Glastonbury take the road towards Wedmore and enter Meare, The Ring of Bells is next to the church on the right hand side, as indicated by our For Sale sign.
Roderick Thomas, their clients and any joint agents state that these details are for general guidance only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed. They do not constitute any part of any contract. All measurements are approximate and floor plans are to give a general indication only and are not measured accurate drawings. No guarantees are given with regard to planning permission or fitness for purpose. No apparatus, equipment, fixture or fitting has been tested. Items shown in photographs are not necessarily included. Purchasers must satisfy themselves on all matters by inspection or otherwise. VIEWINGS - interested parties are advised to check availability and current situation prior to travelling to see any property.