LAWN HOUSE, SHAPWICK, SOMERSET, TA7 9LU
The house is Grade ll listed and has been extensively restored and improved to bring it to its present quite exceptional condition. It's beautifully presented and appointed with generous accommodation of the highest order.
A drive leads into the property through landscaped lawned grounds which also include 2 walled gardens and outbuildings.
About the area
Shapwick lies in the heart of the beautiful somerset countryside well away from any busy roads or unsightly commercial developments. It's a traditional village surrounded by beautiful rolling countryside little changed for many years. The village has a very active community and within easy driving distance are various small towns and larger villages which provide range of shopping, cultural and sporting activities. These include Glastonbury, Street Wells, Wedmore and Bridgwater with Taunton and Bristol also within commuting distance.
There are good road communications with the M5 and A303, Bristol and Exeter airports and direct rail services to London at Taunton and Castle Cary.
The area has excellent state and independent schools including Millfield, Shapwick School (specialising in dyslexia), various primary schools and secondary schools, Hugh Sexeys and Kings of Wessex, Sidcot, Wells, Cathedral and the Taunton and Bristol schools.
Lawn House is within the village within it's own gardens and enjoys great privacy. It's a very handsome house with a typically Georgian appearance of the late 18th century although there is evidence of a much earlier property.
The house has a symmetrical frontage with a central arched six panelled main entrance door with a pretty fanlight with radiating glazing bars and twelve and nine pane sash windows.
Internally many other period details remain including a turned staircase, window shutters, ornate plasterwork, marble fireplaces, flagstones and wine racks. In addition the house has benefited from extensive improvements and a full sympathetic refurbishment programme.
• Complete redecoration internally and externally.
• Bespoke custom-made drapery installed throughout property.
• All carpets replaced - Hessian backed Scotch-guarde and Cloud 9 Underlay.
• Replacement of timber flooring in Gr.Fl. rooms plus extensive insulation.
• New door locking system installed.
• Windows subject refurbishment schedule by an English Heritage specialist.
• Existing shutters have been refurnished with new furniture.
• Woodburners installed.
• New Kitchen Installed.
o Bespoke Base Unit and Wall Units with Cornicing
o Two Integrated Dishwashers
o Two Integrated Wine Fridges
o Integrated Larder Fridge
o Integrated Larder Freezer
o Range Master Professional Deluxe Gas/Electric Range
• (fed by separate twin gas bottles fitted externally)
o Esse Wood Burning Range
o Belfast Sink
o Quooker Instant Hot Water Tap
o Wine Racks
o Plate Racks
o Integrated cabinet lighting
• New bespoke Utility Room Installed with fitted units with integrated light.
• Master bedroom suite refurbished.
• Existing bathrooms have been refurbished and additional bathrooms added with underfloor heating.
• Built in over-sized integrated wardrobes installed in 3 principal bedrooms.
Technical details regarding services.
• The Property has been re-wired and certified to 17th Edition IEE:
o Low energy light system installed throughout property
o Bespoke Chrome light switches and sockets installed throughout
o Energy saving Kill Switch installed
o Bespoke chandeliers and light fittings installed throughout
• Full mains linked smoke alarm system installed.
• Internet Hard Wired Wireless system installed throughout the property to include data cabinet.
• Panasonic Telephone system installed:
o Full Intercom facility
o Linked to the coach house
o Phone system opens/closes Electric Entrance Gates
• Period radiators fitted
• Two New Worcester Oil Fired Boilers Installed:
o All radiators refurbished and fitted with independent thermostatic controls.
• Bespoke property-wide TV entertainment system installed:
o TV Equipment Cabinet
o Each room has functionality to access different Sky/DVD/TV unit.
• New bathroom installed:
• New wood floor installed
• Wood Entrance Gates replaced on both entrances.
• New Electronic Gate system installed opened by Telephone Link.
• All external building lights replaced and light on/off timer system installed.
• Greenhouse completely re-built.
• Trees have been subject of arboricultural maintenance work.
• Extensive lawns re-instated.
• New laurel hedge boundary planted around perimeter of formal lawns.
• Planning Consent obtained 2015 for the construction of a tennis/ sport court.
• Garages have extended with doors fitted to provide secure vehicle/bike storage.
The outcome is a superb period property of a very high standard which is now a wonderful family home which whilst being a large house of enormous character is also extremely welcoming and liveable.
The front door opens into a grand reception hall with oak flooring, a marble fireplace (with a wood burning stove) and a fine staircase. To the left is a light and airy double aspect drawing room with oak flooring, double French doors to the south facing garden, a marble fireplace and wood burning stove.
An inner hall has fitted bookshelves, the gunroom and a door to the dining room which has an oak floor, a stone fireplace with a wood burning stove and door into the kitchen.
The kitchen is a super room, entirely refurbished and refitted as listed above, It has doors to the dining room, inner hall, garden and a further inner hall.
This leads to the utility room, cloakroom and the study or family sitting room. The hallway has garden doors to the south and west, store cupboards and pantries and steps down to the Cellars. These have storage areas, the plumbing and electrical works and two oil fired boilers and a door into the wine cellar with stone compartments.
On the first floor the master suite occupies the east side and provides a large double aspect bedroom leading through into a well equipped dressing room and through again to the bathroom with a large tiled shower, twin basins and wc.
There is a guest suite with a large bedroom (with extensive wardrobes) and an en suite bathroom, 4 other bedrooms, 2 more bath or shower rooms and a back staircase.
From the main landing a staircase rises to the second floor which has a bedroom, bathroom, and a playroom and children's sitting room.
Downstairs the south door from the inner hall leads to the garden and the adjoining annexe which has a gym, games room and cloak room.
Standing to the north of the house is the converted coach house which has also been extensively improved and is now a very comfortable property with a hall, sitting room, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom.
Gardens and Grounds
The drive leads into the property past mature trees and shrubberies which ensure the privacy of the property.
Beyond are extensive lawned gardens and a very attractive and well sheltered sunny garden adjoining the south side of the house.
On the western side is a classic walled garden bounded by the house and high stonewalls on the other three sides. There are lawns, gravelled paths and box hedges dividing up vegetables areas. On the the northern side is a greenhouse, espaliered trees, a small orchard area and store shed.
There is also a further walled garden with an orchard and a range of outbuildings.
A rear courtyard, with a separate entrance, provides extensive parking and garaging.
Roderick Thomas, their clients and any joint agents state that these details are for general guidance only and accuracy cannot be guaranteed. They do not constitute any part of any contract. All measurements are approximate and floor plans are to give a general indication only and are not measured accurate drawings. No guarantees are given with regard to planning permission or fitness for purpose. No apparatus, equipment, fixture or fitting has been tested. Items shown in photographs are not necessarily included. Purchasers must satisfy themselves on all matters by inspection or otherwise. VIEWINGS - interested parties are advised to check availability and current situation prior to travelling to see any property.